WHAT IS A KETO FAT BOMB?
The best way to understand a Keto fat bomb, is that it is the Keto version of an energy bar, but instead of glucose or carbs, these “energy balls” are high in Healthy Fat.
Keto Fat Bombs can be both savory or sweet. There are many recipes available to you, but once you get the basics down, you will be able to make a variety of fat bombs in a short amount of time.
WHEN CAN I EAT A KETO FAT BOMB?
Keto Fat Bombs are an essential part of your daily Keto Diet. Once you obtain ketosis, and have trained your body to burn healthy fats as energy, these small balls of energy will give you a boost and see you feeling full throughout the day!
GREAT TIME FOR KETO FAT BOMBS:
- Pre/Post workout
- A mid-day snack
- To fulfill your daily caloric intake
- An energy boost
- A quick breakfast
KETO FATS BOMBS: THE BASICS
One thing you won’t be, while on the Keto Diet, is hungry. Since you will be eating food that is packed with healthy fat, you will find yourself filling up easily. For that reason, Keto Fat Bombs are made in small, bite-sized portions. Though they are delicious, it is difficult to eat too much of each fat bomb, as these savory little balls are packed full of healthy fats and filling ingredients.
YOU WILL NEED 3 MAIN INGREDIENTS:
1. Healthy Fats
Once you have your basics, you can make any number of healthy and delicious Keto Fat Bombs. Experiment with the basics, and the provided recipes, to keep your palette satisfied daily.
1. HEALTHY FATS
The key to the keto diet is that you will be eating HEALTHY fats. Once you have achieved ketosis, these healthy fats will be burned into energy.
WHAT ARE THE HEALTHY FATS FOR YOUR KETO FAT BOMB?
You have tons of options to make both sweet and savory Keto Fat Bombs. I recommend buying some of your favorite ingredients and mix and matching the fat bombs! We picked out some recommended products on amazon below, or you can find them at most grocery stores.
- Cacao Butter
- Coconut Butter
- Coconut Oil
- MCT Oil
- Almond Butter
- Special Oil
- Coconut Milk
- Coconut Cream
- This is the solid part of the refrigerated can of coconut milk
- Ghee is expensive to buy, but can be made very simply at home. Ghee is clarified, unsalted butter. Even those with an intolerance to butter can handle ghee. This form of butter is intensified, as it is full of flavor and packed with nutrients. See the Easy Ghee recipe included at the end of this post.
- Preferably unsalted, organic, grass fed
- If you are sensitive to dairy products, use another option
- Bacon Fat
- Avocado Oil
- Heavy Cream
- Sour Cream
Side note: Using healthy fats high in MCT Oil will help you achieve the best results. Many Keto Dieters will start their day with MCT enriched coffee to boost their metabolism. MCT Oil has many benefits, both physical and mental.
One of our personal favorite brands is giving away free samples to our readers. Give it a try! You will love it!
FLAVORING OPTIONS FOR YOUR KETO FAT BOMBS:
These are delicious and safe to use with your diet:
- Stevia — Liquid Form
- Sugar-free Vanilla Extract
- Sugar Free Chocolate
- 100% Dark Chocolate
- Cacao Powder
- Peppermint Extract
- Low-carb Maple Syrup
- Berries (low sugar like blackberries or blueberries – use a small amount )
- Lemon Juice
When on the keto diet, you have to be careful about your intake of nuts and seeds. Some nuts and seeds are high in carbohydrates, so obviously they need to be avoided. The being said, you will want to choice heathy its and seeds to add texture to your Keto Fat Bombs.
TEXTURE OPTIONS FOR YOUR KETO FAT BOMBS:
- Coconut flour
- Chia Seeds
- Cacao Nibs
- Chopped herbs
- Shredded Coconut
- Chopped cooked meat (like steak, salmon, or salami)
- Bacon Bits
- Be sure to choose Sugar-Free if you are not making your own
- Low-carb fruits (like tomatoes or berries)
- Low-carb vegetables (like onions or scallions)
KETO FAT BOMBS:
IN JUST 3 EASY STEPS!
Now that you understand the basics of Keto Fat Bombs, you are ready to make them! If you food prep, you will want to make a variety to store in your refrigerator for the next week.
Always store your fat bombs in the refrigerator., since most of the fats contained in the Keto Fat Bombs ill be liquid at room temperatures. Stored in an airtight container, your fat bombs should last 1-2 weeks. If you would like them to last longer, you can always freeze them, but you will need to thaw them before eating. You will want to invest in a muffin pan with a liner, to keep from getting messy while baking. Since these are small bites, a mini-muffin pan is the best investment.
Mix your chosen ingredients in a large mixing bowl, or a food processor. If you are using a solid healthy fat, such as coconut oil, melt slightly in a microwave or stove.
Pour your mixture into your lined muffin pan, or lined baking pan, or form into small balls.
Refrigerate or freeze for several hours until the mixture is solid. If you used a baking pan, cut your bombs into slices for easy consumption.
EASY GHEE RECIPE
- 16 Ounces (1 pound) of unsalted, organic, grass fed butter
- A Medium Sized Saucepan
- A Fine Wire Mesh Strainer
- A Cheesecloth (Can be purchased at any store with a home good section. They are as inexpensive as $1 at a retailer such as Walmart)
- A spoon
- A 16-ounce (or larger) measuring cup
- A jar for storage
- Cut the butter into cubes and place into the saucepan. Smaller cubes will melt faster.
- Cook for about 10-15 minutes. This time will vary based on your stove. During this cooking time, you will see the butter go through several stages, First, it will foam, then bubble. Then, it will seem to almost stop bubbling and start to foam again. When the second foam happens, your ghee is done! The butter should be a bright gold color and there should be reddish brown pieces of milk solids at the bottom of the pan.
- Let your ghee cool for 2-3 minutes. As it is cooling, line the wire mesh strainer with several layers of cheesecloth. Slowly pour the slightly cooled ghee through the wire mesh strainer. Discard the milk protein caught in the cheesecloth.
- Store the ghee at room temperature, but it can also be stored in the fridge. It will last up to a month at room temperature, and even longer in the fridge.
- Don’t forget that your ghee is much more flavorful than butter, so use sparingly.